Boylan Catholic High School dances are an event, which reflects the philosophy of our school and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Among our most important considerations is adherence to Church teachings regarding modesty. The following dress and dance guidelines apply to our students and students from other schools that may be attending as the date of one of our students.
- The neckline of a dress, top, or gown must be cut in a modest way without showing cleavage. Spaghetti straps or strapless dresses are allowed, as long as they are not low cut.
- The cut of a dress in the back and sides must not be cut below the navel.
- A dress, skirt, or gown must be longer than mid-thigh.
- Slits in a dress/skirt may be no higher than three (3) inches from the knee.
- No navel is allowed to show.
- Two-piece dresses are allowed if the space between top and skirt is less than two inches. The top must not show any cleavage or have cut outs (halter top style).
- The bodice of the dress must not have any fabric cutouts in the cleavage area. If elsewhere, it must be covered by netting and less than an inch opening.
- Dresses should not be excessively tight.
- No cover-ups (coats, shawls, sweaters) will be allowed over dresses that do not meet dress code.
- Young men are expected to wear a collared dress shirt and dress pants. A sport coat or tie is optional.
- Young men are expected to wear formal evening attire that would include a tuxedo, suit with a tie, or sport coat and slacks with a tie.
Admittance to the dance, with consideration of attire, will be left to the discretion of the faculty/administration present that evening. Parents will be called to bring a change of clothes if the student is dressed inappropriately; otherwise, the student will be asked to leave after parent phone call. If a student is in doubt as to the expected modesty of his or her chosen attire, he or she should consult with the administration before the dance to avoid the embarrassment of being turned away. These rules apply to dates from other schools, too.
If you have questions or would like someone to approve the dress ahead of time, contact Mr. Lindstedt, Dean of Students.
Appropriate physical contact only. Sexually suggestive dancing will not be tolerated.
- No straddling legs
- No bending over
- No grinding
- No inappropriate touching
- No overt and/or prolonged public displays of affection
- Both feet on the floor
- Hands-on waists or shoulders only
- All students will receive a wristband upon entrance to the dance. If an administrator or chaperone observes any of the listed behaviors, he/she will cut off the wristband. If the student continues to dance in that fashion, a parent will be called and the student will be removed from the dance.
- If a student is removed from the dance for inappropriate dancing, he/she will receive demerits and potential forfeiture of future dances.
Any requests for music must be made in a week in advance to the adviser. The DJ will not accept requests the night of the dance.