Boylan’s Christian Service Program allows students to experience Christianity in a dynamic way by actively participating in a wide variety of opportunities that serve their community and those in need. Christian service has its roots in the command of the Gospel to be of service to the needy, poor, and disadvantaged in a direct, personal and helping way.
- All students are required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of service per year from a list of pre-approved agencies.
- Alternate service agencies may be considered, but students must submit a pre-approval form View to Mrs. Lisa St. John each year by April 1st.
- Students may earn service hours by volunteering for approved projects and events at Boylan; however, service hours completed for the school may not exceed 25 hours over four years.
- Students must obtain a signed evaluation
form from a representative of the agency where the service was completed in order to receive credit.
- How to Upload Evaluation Forms via Chromebook Camera: View
- The service year runs from May 4, 2022 through May 1, 2023.
- All students are required to complete a reflection paper due May 1, 2023 (Senior reflection papers are due April 19, 2023), which is graded and carries the same weight as a 4th quarter test grade. Reflection paper guidelines for each grade level are available below:
Freshman - View
Sophomore - View
Junior - View
Senior - View
- All agency evaluation forms and all 25 hours must be turned in with the reflection paper on the due date or the student will receive a “0” for that test grade.
Activities that do not Count as Christian Service
- Work completed for pay.
- Yard work (mowing the lawn, raking leaves, etc.).
- Walking the dog.
- Shoveling snow.
- Any activity done as a household chore.
How do I know if it is a Christian Service?
Ask yourself – is what I am doing related to the corporal and spiritual works of mercy? Does my service set a Christian example and witness the Gospel? Would others know that I am a Christian by my actions of service?